In 1953, two families from Texas and one family from New Mexico moved to Carson City. The families were James Taylor Patterson, his wife Lois, and their two sons, Lester and Harlin; Virgil Burnett, his wife Gertrude (who was a sister to JT Patterson) and their five children, John Robert, Nancy, Sue, Butch, and Lynda (Kunter); and Jack and Johnnie Lindsay. The families were members of Southern Baptist churches but found that there was no Southern Baptist church in Carson City.
Eventually, Larry Fisher was sent to Carson City from Ross Avenue Baptist Church in Dallas, Texas, to begin a Southern Baptist mission. He met with these three families as they continued to pray and plan for a Southern Baptist church in Carson City. With Larry Fisher as the pastor, they began meeting together, canvassing neighborhoods, and inviting others to meet with them. For the first few services, there were approximately seventeen in attendance. Some college students from Texas came for the summer and helped go throughout neighborhoods to tell people about the new church. The first meeting of the First Baptist Mission was on July 26, 1953, with five people in attendance. On March 26, 1954, the First Baptist Church of Carson City was officially organized with 30 members. The church was organized as a local autonomous body and a cooperating member of the Feather River Baptist Association, the California-Nevada Baptist Convention, and the Southern Baptist Convention. In 1956, it became a part of the newly formed Nevada Baptist Convention.
They met in a building in the 400 block of West Telegraph Street, between Division and Minnesota. The building belonged to the Christian Church, and in June of 1954, First Baptist Church purchased the building, as well as a house across the street at 412 N. Minnesota Street to use as the parsonage. On November 3, 1965, the building was destroyed by a gas explosion. The explosion occurred when a leaky gas valve in the alley allowed gas to seep into the church basement. Once a settlement was reached, the money was used to purchase the present property located at 1750 N. Mountain Street.
The church body met at the Seventh Day Adventist Church for a brief time and then leased two buildings on Fairview Drive, between California and Roop. One building was used as the sanctuary and the other was used for offices and Sunday school space.
The groundbreaking for the new building on the corner of Mountain and Bath was conducted on September 8, 1968. Plans were made, financing was obtained, and members committed to financial support of the new church building. The new building was occupied for the first time on April 20, 1969, on a Sunday morning, with a record attendance of 150 people in Sunday school. The outside of the building was complete, but the inside was far from completion. The sanctuary and the north wing were finished inside with the manpower of the congregation. The sinks and cabinets in the little kitchen, as well as some of the light fixtures, were purchased at “fire sale” prices after the old Carson Tahoe Hospital burned down. The south wing was just a shell until the congregation was financially able to complete it. The two-story building, which is connected by a breezeway, was begun in 1979, and was ready for occupancy and dedicated in 1981. It houses classrooms upstairs, and a fellowship hall and large commercial kitchen downstairs.
The parsonage was sold in November of 1970 to help with the expenses of the construction and the loan. The strip of the property along the south side, on Long Street, was sold in 1994, and the proceeds were used to pay off the loan on the church.